Monday, September 10, 2012

Android Phone Fans

Android Phone Fans


[Rumor] Tipster claims Galaxy Note 2 coming to Verizon

Posted: 09 Sep 2012 11:20 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Brief Mobile are claiming that one of their “trusted sources” has confirmed to them that the Samsung Galaxy Note II is coming to Verizon. In fact, the above screenshot has been taken by the Verizon variant, the SCH-I605. They also claim that the phablet will make its way to all the major carriers including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Bell, and Sprint.

Personally, I’m not surprised. Though only AT&T picked up the Note last year, it still managed a significant amount of commercial success globally and is now on par with the Galaxy S III in terms of importance to Samsung. Though I’m not a fan of the device (I’m still struggling to adjust to the One X’s screen size) I’m really looking forward to seeing the sales numbers come in for the Note II.

While it’s tough to match the latest iPhone’s individual sales, I really hope the Galaxy S III and the Note II combined can come in the vicinity. If Samsung’s flagship devices can match Apple’s in terms of sales, it would be a big, big boost to both Samsung and Android as a whole.

[Brief Mobile]


Uniquely Android: AirCalc

Posted: 09 Sep 2012 10:54 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Uniquely Android is a series we started a while ago to shine the spotlight on those apps that take advantage of the unique capabilities of the platform and provide an experience that you wouldn't find in most other phones. So far, we have featured Plug In LauncherAirDroid, ShushLlamaSwiftkey 3SwipePadWidgetsoid2.x and Unified Remote.

Too often for my liking I’ve encountered a situation where I need to jump between the calculator app and another app from where I’m pulling the numbers for the equation. It’s irritating to the point that at times I’ve just given up and decided I’ll get to it later when I have my tablet or laptop around me. And I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who thinks so.

Thankfully, I just happen to stumble upon AirCalc, an app that offers a floating calculator that stays on top of any app you have opened (which you can navigate through freely). It can easily be dragged around, resized or minimized, allowing you to see all the numbers you need for your calculation. It’s simple, extremely useful, and one of those apps that I would genuinely recommend to each and every Android user.

You can download AirCalc here. Do check out the developers other apps, particularly if you’re interested in more of these “floating” style ones.


Google granted patent for Smart Glove

Posted: 09 Sep 2012 09:17 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Project Glass isn’t the only augmented reality project Google happens to be working on: they’ve recently been granted a patent for what can best be called a “Smart Glove”, somewhat similar to what Tom Cruise wore in the movie Minority Report. Consisting of several sensors, cameras, processors, memory and networking capabilities, the glove itself seems very unlikely to make its way to regular consumers (though I wouldn’t mind one to play around with).

Possible applications? One such is using gestures and Project Glass in conjunction to perform actions, such as zooming in with either the camera on the glove or the Glass. Another is interacting with holographic interfaces, such as Tony Stark’s computer in Iron Man.

I must admit, though, that I have seen some form of prior art in the segment. I’m referring to technology demonstrated by an MIT Media Lab assistant researcher and PhD candidate, Pranav Mistry. A video of Pranav’s at a TED conference is below. How similar is Google’s work to his? I’m not sure, but they definitely seem along a similar line.

[Android Authority]


[Deal] Walmart, Target offering T-Mobile Galaxy S III at discounted prices

Posted: 09 Sep 2012 08:10 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Looking to pick up a Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile? Then your best bet is to head to either a Target or a Walmart, with both the stores offering the phone at over a $100 discount from the carrier’s own price. It’s going to cost you $148 at Walmart and $169 at Target with a $25 Google Play gift card thrown in. Both offers are eligible on two-year contracts for either new connections or upgrades.

[TMoNews]


No comments:

Post a Comment