Monday, May 14, 2012

Android Phone Fans

Android Phone Fans


Developers, please, don’t ever use SellARing to monetize your app

Posted: 13 May 2012 11:16 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

I’ve always felt notification bar ads are the worst things to have ever been created. However, such is the beauty of the human mind that we’re always, always capable of exceeding our previous achievements (whether for the good or for the bad).

So, what could be more annoying than ads in the notification bar? How about audio advertisements played every time you make a call. If you’ve read my articles in the past, you’d know that I would uninstall any app that comes with AirPush or something like that in it.

Developers, I’m going to take it to a whole new degree with selling if I find it in your app: not only am I going to uninstall it immediately, I’ll ensure to leave a scathing review on Google Play with a one star. Then I’ll tell anyone and everyone I know that your app is a disaster. And finally, I’ll name and shame you on Phandroid itself if I feel like it.

Believe me, I know how difficult it is to make money. My own app isn’t doing well for various reasons, but that doesn’t mean I’m ever going to sell out my users in such a horrible way. It’s not going to get you anywhere. Make as good an app, with as enjoyable a UX as possible, and we’ll help you out if we can by reviewing your work.

[via Google+]


Thai govt. signs $32.8 million deal to purchase Android tablets for education

Posted: 13 May 2012 10:33 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

The Next Web has reported that the Thailand government has inked a deal that would see them carry out the widest educational tablet deployment to date. They will be purchasing 400,000 Android 4.0 tablets from Shenzhen Scope at $81 a pop. They might even purchase another 530,000 tablets, bringing the total spend to $75.7 million.

Fortunately, instead of purchasing crap like the Indian government did, they’ve focused on ensuring the hardware in the tablet would actually be usable. The $81 Scopad SP0712 tablet runs Ice Cream Sandwich, has a 7 inch screen (as expected), 8 GB of storage, 1 GB RAM and GPS. Shenzhen Scope is bullish that they could attract deals with governments from other countries, too.

"Thailand is the first country in which we have provided large numbers of tablets for students. Now we are talking with other governments to provide this kind of tablet device for [other] students, including Pakistan, Brazil and South Africa," chairman Liu Jun said.

 

[via The Next Web]


New Magenta Deal Days coming next weekend

Posted: 13 May 2012 10:07 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

If you’re looking to pick up a phone on T-Mobile, you might want to wait till next weekend. TMoNews got their hands on this little flyer, and looks like customers would have an attractive buy-one-get-one-free offer on T-Mobile’s various 4G handsets.

The devices mentioned are the myTouch, myTouch Q, HTC Amaze 4G, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S Blaze 4G and the Samsung Exhibit 4G. By the sound of it, that leaves out the HTC One S, which would have made this a very, very attractive offer. As expected, new two-year agreements are required.

[via TMoNews]


ASUS teases the PadFone and it’s varying capabilities [Video]

Posted: 13 May 2012 06:24 AM PDT

This image has no alt text


Despite having been first announced a long, long time ago, and despite the fact that we still don’t know when it would release, the ASUS Padfone has managed to maintain a decent amount of buzz. After the recent news regarding it’s amazing battery life, ASUS has also chosen to post this video, demonstrating it’s various capabilities.

So, are you still interested in grabbing one when it finally hits store shelves?


Me, Android, and my Mom [opinion]

Posted: 13 May 2012 06:07 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Today being Mother’s Day, I couldn’t help but look back and think of the role my mom has played in my life so far. It’s kind of difficult not to when people keep sharing this beautiful P&G advertisement on Facebook.

Sure, I might not be an Olympian, but to her I’m running a different race that holds as much importance. We spend a lot of time together, often play golf together, and she’s one of the first people I share anything I create with. More often than not, she doesn’t fit the target demographic, but her approval, and more importantly the excitement she has gives me a whole lot of encouragement.

Going against the usual “iOS is more user-friendly” cliche thrown around the web, my mom actually prefers Android. In fact, a few weeks ago someone brought their new iPad over to have me set up a few things. As an experiment, I opened Google on both the iPad and my Galaxy Tab 10.1, and gave them to my mom asking her to tell me which she preferred.

The Galaxy Tab won, hands down. No over-heating, brighter screen and settings in the notification area were the main reasons. One of the main reasons I want to buy a new phone is so I can pass on my current myTouch 4G to her, so that she’s no longer infuriated with her iPhone 3G (which was given to her by my sister, who has horrible taste in phones).

I often spend time just watching her use my tablet since it gives me some vital knowledge in understanding how people who aren’t as technologically aware as us interact with the device. She found her comfort zone very fast, learning pinch-to-zoom on her own, and even sometimes puts on YouTube while working in the kitchen.

My gift to her on this day? Besides taking her out to dinner, I’ve decided to add her Google account to my tablet, so she can easily read her mails in the app instead of opening the browser. So far, I hadn’t because I didn’t want to keep getting notifications for the chain-mails that her friends’ circulate. But, hey, I can make that little a sacrifice. She’s happy with using the browser so far, but gets annoyed at times when she can’t get the mail she’s reading to take over the complete screen space.

I really hope someone takes out the time to educate this particular demographic the benefits of Android. There’s a lot of money involved here, especially in the tablet market considering for people like her it can act as the only personal computing device required.  For some strange reason, it seems like manufacturers have just assumed that this demographic is only interested in Apple. To a certain degree, that’s true, but its generally because of the advertising strategies employed (especially the Droid series). I’d love to see everyone stop taking potshots at Apple, or talking about robots and stuff, and simply focus on family.


Apple blames Samsung for intentionally destroying evidence

Posted: 12 May 2012 08:04 PM PDT

This image has no alt text


Last May 1st was full of tension in the Northern District of California. Same place where Apple filed a motion asserting that Samsung purposely destroyed evidence that would aid in Apple’s victory. Said conduct is known as “spoilation of evidence,” and Apple is asking that the Judge educates the Jury about said matter.

According to the iPhone manufacturer, Samsung did this intentionally, so as to not give Apple the needed information to come to a better conclusion. “Vast quantities of relevant evidence in blatant disregard of its duty to preserve all such evidence.”

Samsung is scheduled for an official reply on May 15, with a hearing set for July 7th. But the Korean Manufacturer is asking for an extension, as the Company would have to review “thousands of pages of documents and voluminous pages of deposition testimony” in order to provide a valid argument on the matter. If the Court grants Samsung said extension, the hearing would be set back to July 10, with a May 29th brief from the Galaxy makers.

If Apple is found victorious, Samsung could be accused of intentionally, and knowingly, infringing on Apple’s patents. Yes, things just might be getting pretty ugly.

[Via: Network World]


No comments:

Post a Comment