Monday, July 30, 2012

Android Phone Fans

Android Phone Fans


Want that SGS III “Pop up play” gimmick on your device? Download Moboplayer

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 11:41 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

I’ll be very honest with you, I think that “Pop up play” feature on the SGS III is nothing more than a gimmick, and the best thing it offered Samsung was a decent little advertisement. You remember this, right?

Anyway, courtesy of MoboPlayer, you can add the little feature to any device you want. I tried it on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, and I must mention the ability to resize the video’s pop-up is very useful. Again I honestly I can’t see myself using it too much. Maybe if I’m watching an utterly boring video, and want to browse the web side by side, I could see myself using it. But otherwise, not really.

Thanks, Arjun!

 


Uniquely Android: Shush!

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 10:38 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Uniquely Android is a series we started last week to shine the spotlight on those apps that take advantage of the unique capabilities of the platform and provide an experience that you wouldn’t find in most other phones. So far, we have featured Plug In Launcher and AirDroid.

When I first introduced the series, I mentioned that some of the apps featured might include a small feature set. Honestly, I wrote that knowing that one day, I’m going to be writing about Shush! The app does just one little simple task, but it does so extremely well: when you silence your phone’s ringtone, it offers you with a dialog (screenshot attached) with which you can choose for how long you want your phone on silent. After that, it puts the volume back on for you.

It’s an incredibly useful little app that I’ve used for a long, long time. It comes in handy every time I’m at the movies, in any meeting or when I used to be in class. But that’s not the only reason Shush gets a feature, it also does for the fact that the app was one of the first to be extremely polished look and UX-wise.

They didn’t offer you a HH:MM picker to choose how long you want your phone Shushed since, honestly, picking two things would end up being a pain. Their circular slider made the app a lot more user friendly and, deservedly, the app was featured extensively on the old Android Market. It has seen over half a million downloads, and maintains a 4.7 star rating.

If you’re like me in that you often forget to put your phone’s volume back on, this is a must-have app. You can download it over here.

Note: I’m shaking things up in this series by asking you to recommend some apps that you feel I should write about next week. Just mention them in the comments. I’ve got a list of my own, but would love to come across other “unique” Android apps, too.


Calling out Federico Carnales: If you get this message, please do respond

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 07:44 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Dear Mr. Carnales,

I’m sorry if you find this post intrusive, but I have a perfectly reasonable explanation for having to do so. I came across this image on Reddit, and at first I chuckled. I get it that indie-developers can’t always stay consistent with updates. However, I saw you weren’t active on Twitter either for quite some time, and I got worried.

I hope you’re enjoying your life somewhere, free from customer feedback E-Mails and making the most of the money you worked so hard to earn. You deserve it. In fact, a part of me wishes you never come across this post. But, if you do, do send out a message to let those of us in the World, who hold you in high regard for your contributions to Android through your brilliant apps, know that you’re alive and kicking.

With best regards,

Raveesh Bhalla

Former LauncherPro User, and currently using UberMusic


AT&T officially drops HTC One X price to $99 on contract

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 07:30 AM PDT

This image has no alt text

Just a couple of days back we first heard the rumors of an upcoming price-drop for the HTC One X. While the XDA source didn’t seem too convincing, it turns out he was indeed speaking the truth. The beauty that is the One X can be yours for as little as $99, as long as you sell your soul to AT&T for two years.

In my eyes, this is a great deal. I consider the One X to be up there with the Samsung Galaxy S III as the best Android devices available currently. Each trumps the other in different fields of comparison, and on feature set I can’t choose between the two. But, with a $100 price difference, the One X is the winner for me.

[via Brief Mobile]


No comments:

Post a Comment