Saturday, July 27, 2013

Android World Update # Android and Me

Android and Me
Meet Your New Android Friend. Your Community For All Things Google Android. 
Meet Android and Me: Dustin Earley
Jul 26th 2013, 18:52, by Dustin Earley

Hello, dear Android and Me readers, and welcome to the most interesting article you will ever read on this website. My name is Dustin Earley, but you can call me Dustin. Prepare yourself for the journey that has been the last five years of my life: the story of how I came to be writing this very biography.

Enough with the joking, I can’t keep it up forever. Compared to the rest of my life, the last five years have been extremely boring. But in the best way possible. It was 2008 I had just quit working as a cash manager for the local minor baseball team, and I wasn’t sure what to do with my life. After high school in 2003, I opted to skip college and focus on work among other things for awhile. I won’t go into the details, but suffice to say I was headed nowhere. By 2008 I made the decision to stop devoting my life to nothing and see what kind of classes the local community college offered.

It was around that time that I bought my first “smart” phone, a Sidekick Slide. Music, movies and cell phones quickly became my life’s passions. For the first year of college, I took digital media production classes and became hopelessly addicted to buying and selling phones. After moving from the Slide to a Sidekick 08, I spent 2009 trading my way around a handful of phones. I used a G1, original iPhone, iPhone 3G, myTouch 3G, Palm Pre, BlackBerry Tour and Motorola Cliq, before settling with the G1 again.

By the end of summer 2009, I was spending most of my days outside of class researching how to hack Android and participating in TmoNews forum discussions (I was obsessed). Sometime between September and October, I was asked to moderate the forums on DroidDog.com. I used to bother John Walton, the managing editor at the time, about spam on the forums through Twitter. He eventually made me a mod to deal with it myself. Between October and December some interesting things happened.

I was made a mod of all the PhoneDog network site’s forums, and PhoneDog itself, and I wrote my first blog post about cell phones. It was right when the original HTC Passion, aka Nexus One, rumors started. I took to my now-out-of-commission Blogger and wrote about how Google could change the cell phone industry by embracing VoIP with the Nexus One and cut out carriers as much as possible. John saw the article and asked me if I wanted to write for DroidDog.

Fast forward to July of 2011. Thousands of blog posts later, I was getting ready to leave the site and move to my new home, Android and Me. Just a few short weeks ago, I passed my two year anniversary with Android and Me. We’ve gone through some changes over that time (never would have guessed I’d be working for PhoneDog again), but we’re, me and Android and Me, stronger than ever for it.

In my personal life I continue to go to school part time, dabbling in communications and computer programming. I now live with my girlfriend of five years and our dog, Liver. I watch a lot of Netflix (Doctor Who, Star Trek, Fringe, etc.) and play a lot of video games (Halo, CoD, MineCraft, Trials). Pretty typical boring nerd stuff. Much like Android and Me, I won’t be going anywhere any time soon. Hopefully, I’ll continue writing and working my way through life with my pen as my sword. I hope you’ve enjoyed my articles and that I can continue to educate, entertain and irritate you for years to come.

RIP Beard

RIP Beard

What I’m most excited about

Android and Me is busier than ever. We want to continue to grow, and I’m just excited to be a part of it all. Expect to see a lot of awesome things out of AaM in the coming months. In my personal life, I’m excited for fall. It’s too hot.

What I’m going to be doing with Android and Me

I’ll be continuing on with what I always do. A little bit of news, some opinion pieces here and there and the occasional app or hardware review.

What devices have I owned?

Motorola v60i, Nextel i860, Samsung a930, LG EnV, Samsung SGH 429, Sidekick Slide, Sidekick 08, HTC G1, original Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, myTouch 3G, Palm Pre, BlackBerry Tour, Motorola Cliq, Nexus One, Samsung Vibrant, HTC HD7, BlackBerry Bold 9700, Nexus S, iPhone 4, myTouch 4G, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 and a handful of devices I have either forgotten or couldn’t find the name of.

What phones do I daily drive?

Right now, I’m back and fourth between the iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S4 running the Google Play edition ROM (which is fantastic BTW).

My sister, my brother, and me, living the dream of the 90s

My sister, my brother, and me, living the dream of the 90s

Facts about me:

I’m only 4’10″, very short.
I’ve been to dozens of concerts, but Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie were my favorites.
I’m the oldest of three kids.
I have a Min Pin named Liver.
My all time favorite video game is probably Final Fantasy VII.
My current obsession is the X Files.
I drive a 2001 Honda Civic
I’ve lived in three of the most dangerous cities in the US (Michigan can be a bad place).
The Nexus S was my longest used phone so far.

How to get a hold of me:

Email – Dustin@AndroidandMe.com
Twitter – @du57in
Google+ – Dustin Earley

New Nexus 7 sold early in many stores
Jul 26th 2013, 17:58, by Dima Aryeh

The official release date for the new Nexus 7 is July 30, but release dates have never stopped stores from selling devices early. However, it has always been singular cases of store employees letting a customer buy one. A few lucky people would get them, while most stores would refuse to sell them. This time, it’s a little different.

Multiple stores have been selling the new tablets early. So far, it’s been Walmart, Best Buy, GameStop and Amazon. Amazon will allow you to ship your tablet by Monday, while the other three will ship early and even allow some to walk into stores and pick them up. This has been reported multiple times, so it’s probably working out.

If you want that tablet today, give it a try. Call your local Best Buy, Walmart or GameStop and ask if they’ll sell you one early. Ask if they have any in the back. Ask for the bright blue box. If you’re lucky, you’ll be a Nexus 7 owner by tonight! Tell us if you succeed, and if your local stores will sell one!

Samsung announces record profits in Q2 2013
Jul 26th 2013, 17:31, by Dima Aryeh

Samsung, as always, is making more money than the last quarter. In the second quarter of 2013, the company reported a revenue of 57.46 trillion KRW (51 billion USD) and an operating profit of 9.53 trillion KRW (8.5 billion USD). That isn’t small change by any means, and it’s a record breaker for Samsung. Impressive, right?

Apparently, Wall Street isn’t impressed. The numbers didn’t meet their expectations, causing Samsung stock to further drop. We don’t know why Wall Street is so demanding, where even Apple doesn’t meet expectations, but it can’t be good for the companies. However, Samsung claims that sales and profits will rise in the third quarter and exceed expectations. We hope that’s true.

With impending releases of the next 10-inch Nexus and a new addition to the Galaxy Note line of phones this year, we could see profits rise purely from sales. Hopefully the Note III will be more unique than the Galaxy S 4, because if it is, Samsung may see some new records in profit. How do these profit numbers make you feel?

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment