Saturday, August 17, 2013

Android World Update # Hot smartphone season: what upcoming device are you most excited about?

Android Authority
Android News, Reviews, How To 
Exotic travel ideas.

Searching for your next vacation destination? Subscribe to Off The Beaten Path, a newsletter featuring captivating locales to help you to plan your next trip.
From our sponsors
Hot smartphone season: what upcoming device are you most excited about?
Aug 16th 2013, 19:48, by Bogdan Petrovan

The-Friday-Debate aa

Evan Forester

On this edition of the Friday Debate, we talk about what shapes out to be the most exciting season for Android smartphones in living memory. Over the next few months, a host of amazing, well designed, supremely powerful Android smartphones will hit the market. The only bad thing about it is that some of us we’ll have to make up our mind and choose just one of these devices. So what will it be, out of the Note 3, One Max, Sony i1, LG G2, Moto X, or the next Nexus? Or did we miss something?

Join us in the discussion, vote in our poll, and sound off in the comments!

Robert Triggs 

Call me old fashioned, but I'm still not totally sold on the supra 5-inch trend, so the upcoming Note 3 and One Max aren't really on my radar, unless the developers can do something really interesting with the software.

A new Nexus smartphone would be very welcome news for all the obvious reasons. If the rumors about it being based somewhat on the LG G2 turn out to be true, then I'll be buying one, no questions asked.

Which brings me to the next flagship handsets, the LG G2 and Sony i1. These two interest me the most right now, and not just because I want to see what Qualcomm's latest processor can do.

Ok, the power of the Snapdragon 800 certainly interests me, but I'm also curious to see if LGs others hardware features, like 192kHz sound and GRAM, really bring noticeable improvements to consumers. I think it says something about the state of smartphone hardware that manufacturers have to include niche improvements, like 24 bit audio, in order to differentiate their product from the competition. Despite the subtle benefits, I'm not convinced that the majority of consumers are going to notice these features.

The G2 and x1 may finally shows us that we're reaching the peak of smartphone hardware. Which leaves me wondering where the next big innovation is going to come from?

Even if you're not planning on buying any of these handsets, it's going to be interesting to see how these smartphones shape the Android market over the coming months.

Joshua Vergara

It looks like we’re going to stay busy for quite a while, doesn’t it? To be honest, I love my larger screens with their higher resolutions and pixel densities but I’ve been reminded of a very important notion recently – when I got my hands on the Moto X. Number one, we’re spoiled. We forget how good a device can be even when it doesn’t teeter on the bleeding edge. However, more importantly, number two – that sometimes optimizing what we already have is sometimes better than shoving in more power.

I thoroughly enjoy using the Moto X and I can’t wait to get my own. I’m even going to probably sign up for a two year contract with AT&T just to get my own customized version. And to be honest my general reaction to the Moto X makes me hope that those rumors of Motorola making their own Nexus device actually pan out.

I was recently asked on my G+ page if I thought Motorola should design the Nexus 5. I don’t. Not because they wouldn’t be good at it, but because what we would expect from the Nexus 5 just doesn’t fit in line with what Moto is trying to do right now. They want 720p, S4 Pro, battery saving and optimized specs – all things that the Nexus 4 fit in line with. If the Moto X is what I’m raving about right now, with its smaller, easier to use form factor and (somewhat surprisingly) blazing performance, then I would be more than happy to see Motorola side step the Nexus 5 and instead make a second generation Nexus 4.

Adam Koueider

I’m not a big fan of massive 5+ inch displays so like Robert, the Note 3 and the One Max don’t interest me. However, I am very interested in the LG G2 and the Sony Honami. I probably won’t pick up the G2 itself, but if the Nexus 5 is based on the G2, then I’ll definitely be picking that up (I’ll probably be picking up the Nexus 5 no matter what).

While I’m not a fan of LG’s Optimus UI, I am a fan of Sony’s Xperia UI and a massive fan of the Honami leaks. The Honami looks to be an absolute monster and couple that with Sony’s beautiful smartphone design and added features like waterproofing, I’m genuinely looking forward to the Honami. Plus, if the camera lives up to the hype, I won’t pick up the Lumia 1020 (Yep, I’m picking up the Lumia just for the camera).

The Moto X won’t be coming over to my shores anytime soon, so that means it’s no longer a viable option for me, but I can certainly understand its appeal. It would be very difficult for me to see Motorola make a Nexus based on the Moto X’s specs, because the Nexus smartphone line is aimed at a completely different audience. The spec-maniacs buy Nexus phones, while the Moto X is aimed at the mainstream audience.

All in all, the next few months will be another whirlwind of releases which makes me glad that I held off on purchasing the HTC One or Galaxy S4.

Brad Ward

It’s been a crazy year of awesome devices with plenty to come, making it difficult to settle on just a single handset I’m looking forward to. Nonetheless, as crazy as I am about my Note 2, I’m going to have to say the Moto X. After using the Nexus 7 (2013) I’m really looking forward to the next Nexus handset, but man, the Moto X is something else — one of a kind, if you will. Everything about it is unique — from the hardware and all the way down to customization with the Moto Maker. This isn’t a top of the line device like the G2, but it’s still one dang good handset.

What upcoming smartphone are you most excited about?

Join us in the comments and vote in our poll.

What upcoming smartphone are you most excited about?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment